Peter Ayton (1993) Base Rate Neglect: an Inside View of Judgment?
. Psycoloquy: 4(63) Base Rate (5)
Versions: ASCII formatted
Psycoloquy 4(63): Base Rate Neglect: an Inside View of Judgment?
BASE RATE NEGLECT: AN INSIDE VIEW OF JUDGMENT?
Commentary on Koehler on Base-Rate
London EC1V 0HB
Koehler (1993) shows that experiments purporting to show
base rate neglect do not. I consider the implications for
psychological accounts of human judgment and reflect on whether
base-rate neglect might occur in some real world situations.
Base rate fallacy, Bayes' theorem, decision making,
ecological validity, ethics, fallacy, judgment, probability.
- Beach, L.J., Barnes, V. and Christensen Szalanski, J.J.J. (1987) Assessing human judgment: Has it been done, can it be done, should it be done? In Wright, G. and Ayton, P. Judgmental Forecasting. Chichester: Wiley.
- Cooper, A., Woo, C. and Dunkelberg, W. (1988) 'Entrepreneurs' perceived chances for success. Journal of Business Venturing, 3, 97-108.
- Edwards, W. (1968) Conservatism in human information processing. In B. Kleinmuntz (Ed) Formal representation of human judgment. New York: Wiley.
- Fischhoff, B. and Beyth-Marom, R. (1983) Hypothesis evaluation from a Bayesian perspective. Psychological Review, 90, 239-260.
- Gigerenzer, G. (1991) How to make cognitive illusions disappear: Beyond heuristics and biases. In Stroebe, W. and Hewstone, M. (Eds) European review of Social Psychology, Vol 2. Chichester: Wiley.
- Gigerenzer, G. (in press) Why the distinction between single event probabilities and frequencies is important for Psychology and vice-versa. In Wright, G. and Ayton, P. Subjective Probability. Chichester: Wiley.
- Kahneman, D. and Lovallo, D. (1993) Timid choices and bold forecasts. A cognitive perspective on risk taking. Management Science, 39, 17-31.
- Kahneman, D. and Tversky, A. (1982) On the study of statistical intuitions. In: Kahneman, D., Slovic, P. and Tversky, A. (Eds) Judgment under uncertainty: Heuristics and Biases. Cambridge: C.U.P.
- Kahneman, D., Slovic, P. and Tversky, A. (Eds) (1982) Judgment under Uncertainty: Heuristics and Biases. Cambridge University Press.
- Koehler, J.J. (1993) The Base Rate Fallacy Myth. PSYCOLOQUY 4(49) base-rate.1.koehler.
- Winkler, R.L. and Murphy, A.M. (1973) Experiments in the laboratory and the real world. Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, 20, 252-270.