Peter G. Grossenbacher (1994) Enigmas of the Body, Sense Modalities and Space Perception
. Psycoloquy: 5(55) Evolution Thinking (8)
Versions: ASCII formatted
Psycoloquy 5(55): Enigmas of the Body, Sense Modalities and Space Perception
ENIGMAS OF THE BODY, SENSE MODALITIES AND SPACE PERCEPTION
Peter G. Grossenbacher
Book Review of Sheets-Johnstone on Evolution-Thinking
Department of Experimental Psychology
University of Cambridge
Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EB ENGLAND
In The Roots of Thinking (1990), Sheets-Johnstone argues
that several concepts fundamental to human thought first originated
from bodily experience in pre-humans. Relatively few cognitive or
neurobiological findings appear in the primarily philosophical and
anthropological text. As the book discusses several intriguing
ideas for which disappointingly few laboratory findings pertain,
this review advocates experimental research on three such topics.
analogical thinking, animate form, concepts, evolution,
- Driver, J. & Grossenbacher, P.G. (in press) Multimodal spatial constraints on tactile selective attention. Attention and Performance, XVI.
- Geldard, F.A. (1948) Somesthesis. in E.G. Boring, H.S. Langfeld & H.P. Weld (Eds.) Foundations of Psychology. New York: John Wiley.
- Grossenbacher, P.G. (1993) Interaction between touch and vision: Correspondence between frequency dimensions (Doctoral Dissertation, University of Oregon, 1992). Dissertation Abstracts International, 54, 526B.
- Lederman, S.J. & Klatzky, R.L. (1987). Hand movements: A window into haptic object recognition. Cognitive Psychology, 19, 342-368.
- Marks, L.E. (1978) The unity of the senses: Interrelations among the modalities. New York: Academic Press.
- Sheets-Johnstone, M. (1990) The Roots of Thinking. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
- Sheets-Johnstone, M. (1994) Precis of: The Roots of Thinking. PSYCOLOQUY 5(8) evolution-thinking.1.sheets-johnstone.
- Stein, B.E. & Meredith, M.A. (1993) The merging of the senses. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.