A. Preston West, M.D. (1996) Excitotoxic Aspects of Lithium Neurotoxicity
. Psycoloquy: 7(32) Lithium Toxicity (1)
Versions: ASCII formatted
Psycoloquy 7(32): Excitotoxic Aspects of Lithium Neurotoxicity
EXCITOTOXIC ASPECTS OF LITHIUM NEUROTOXICITY
A. Preston West, M.D.
Target Article by West on Lithium-Toxicity
Veterans Affairs Medical Center (207D)
11301 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles. California 90073
The potential importance of excitotoxic mechanisms in
understanding lithium neurotoxicity is underscored by clinical and
laboratory data which are reviewed here. A variety of different
animal models of neurotoxicity are discussed as potential
strategies for exploring excitotoxic aspects of lithium. Clinical
research strategies suggested by the excitotoxic concept are also
discussed, including use of neuroprotective drug treatment to
prevent lithium induced irreversible brain damage.
brain damage, cholinergic, excitotoxicity, lithium,
memory loss, neuroprotective, seizure, stress.
- Albin, RL and Greenamyre, JT (1992). Alternative excitotoxic hypotheses. Neurology 42: 733 738.
- Altshuler, LL (1993). Bipolar disorder: Are repeated episodes associated with neuroanatomic and cognitive changes? Biological Psychiatry 33: 563-565.
- Amdisen, A, Gottfries, CG, Jacobsson, L and Winblad, B (1974). Grave lithium intoxication with fatal outcome. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica (Suppl) 255: 25-33.
- Anisman, H (1978). Neurochemical changes elicited by stress: Behavioral correlates. In Psychopharmacology of Aversively Motivated Behavior (H. Anisman and G Bignami, eta) Plenum Press, New York.
- Beal, FM (1992). Does impairment of energy metabolism result in excitotoxic neuronal death in neurodegenerative illnesses? Annals of Neurology 311: 119 130.
- Broussolle, E, Seitey, A, Moene, Y, Trilett, and Chazot, G (1989). Reversible Creutzfelt Jacob like syndrome Induced by lithium and levodopa treatment. Journal of Neurology, Neuorsurgery, and Psychiatry 52: 686 687.
- Bureau, YJR and Persinger, MA (1991). Cholinergic rebound after chlorpromazine exacerbates lithium muscarinic induced limbic seizures in rats: Implications for psychiatric treatment. Psychological Reports 69: 171 176.
- Carlson, GA and Goodwin, FK (1973). The stages of mania: a longitudinal analysis of the manic episode. Archives of General Psychiatry 28: 221 228.
- Cotman, CW, Pike, CJ, and Copani, A (1992). Beta amyloid neurotoxicity: a discussion of in vitro findings. Neurobiology of Aging 13: 587 590.
- Coyle, JT and Puttfarcken, P (1993). Oxidative stress, glutamate and Neurodegenerative disease. Science 262: 689-695.
- De Maio, D and Laviana sorry error: De Maio and Laviani, M (1991). Lithium-TCA induced malignant syndrome (case Report). Progress Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry 15: 427-431.
- Deecher, DC, Teitler, M, Soderlund, DM, Bornmann, WG, Kuene, ME, and Glick, SD (1992). Mechanisms of action of ibogaine and harmaline congeners based on radioligand binding studies. Brain Research 571 (2): 242 247.
- Dhingra, U and Rabins PV (1991). Mania in the elderly: A 5-7 year followup. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 39: 581-583.
- Dixon, JF, Los, GV and Hokin, LE (1994). Lithium stimulates glutamate "release" and 1,4,5-triphosphate accululation via activation of the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor in monkey and mouse cerebral cortex slices. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 91: 8358-8362.
- Donaldson, IM and Cunningham, J (1983). Persisting neurologic sequelae of lithium carbonate therapy. Archives of Neurology 40: 747 751.
- Dutka, AJ and Hallenbeck, JM (1991). Pathophysiology of anoxic ischemic brain injury. In Neurology in Clinical Practice.
- Ellis, JM and Lee, SI (1978). Acute prolonged confusion in later life as an total state. Epilepsia 19: 119 128.
- El-Mallakh, RS (1994). Preventing bipolar relapse while avoiding lithium toxicity: the role of the lithium ratio and intraerythrocyte lithium concentration determination. Lithium 5: 17-22.
- Evans, MS, Zorzumski, CF and Clifford, DB (1990). Lithium enhances neuronal muscarinic excitation by presynaptic facilitation. Neuroscience 38: 457 468.
- Harvey, BH, Carstens, ME, and Taljaard, JF (1994). Evidence that lithium induces a glutamatergic: nitric oxide-mediated response in rat brain. Neurochemical Research 19: 469-474.
- Hetnarski, B, Wisniewski, HM, Igbal, K, Dziedic, JD, Lajtha, A (1980). Regional distribution of choline acetyltransferase and acetylcholinesterase in rabbit brain. Neurochemical Research 5: 385 392.
- Honchar, MP Olney, JW, Sherman, WR (1983). Systemic cholinergic agents induce seizures and brain damage in lithium treated rats. Science 220: 323 325.
- Houk, JC Keifer, J and Barto, AG (1993). Distributed motor commands in the limb premotor network. Trends in the Neurosciences 16: 27-33.
- Itil, TM and Akpinar, S (1971). Lithium effect on human electroencephalogram. Clinical Electroencephalography 2: 89 102.
- Jesberger, JA and Richardson, JS (1991). Oxygen free radicals and brain dysfunction. International Journal of Neuroscience 57: 1 17.
- Jacobs, BL and Fornal, CA (1993). 5-HT and motor control. Trends in Neurosciences 16: 346-352.
- Jope, RS and Williams, MB (1994). Lithium and brain signal transduction systems. Biochemical Pharmacology 47: 429-441.
- Kemperman, CJF and Notermans, SLH (1989). Creutzfelt Jakob like syndrome due to lithium toxicity. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry 52: 291.
- Krnjevic, K (1993). Central cholinergic mechanisms and function. Brain Research 98: 285-292.
- Lee, SI (1985). Non convulsive status epilepticus: Ictal confusion in later life. Archives of Neurology 42: 778 781.
- Lipton, SA. (1993). Prospects for clinically tolerated NMDA antagonists: open channel blockers and alternative redox states of nitric oxide. Trends in the Neurosciences 16: 527-532.
- Longo, VG and Massotti, M (1985). Effect of tremorigenic agents on the cerebellum. International Review Neurobiology 26: 315-329.
- Lupien, S, Sharma, S, Nair, NPV, Meaney, MJ (1993). Basal cortisol levels, neuropsychological performance, and normal human aging. Society of Neuroscience Abstracts (247.2), p. 500.
- McCormick, DA (1989). Cholinergic and noradrenergic modulation of thalamocortical processing. Trends in Neuroscience 12: 2115 221.
- Meany, MJ, Diorio, J Francis, D, LaRocque, S O Donnell, D, Smythe, JW, Sharma, S Tannenbaum, B (1993). Enviornmental regulation of glucocorticoid receptor systems in the rat forebrain. Annalys of New York Acad. Sciences 746: 260-274.
- Meierkord, H, Will, B, Fish, D, Shorvon, S (1991). The clinical features and prognosis of pseudo seizures diagnosed using video EE telemetry. Neurology 41: 1643 46.
- Novelli, A, Reilly, JA, Lysko, PG, Henneberry, RC (1988). Glutamate becomes neurotoxic via the NMDA receptor when intracellular energy levels are reduced. Brain Research 451: 205 212.
- O'Hearn, E and Molliver, ME (1993). Degeneration of purkinje cells in parasagittal zones of the cerebellar vermis after treatment with ibogaine or harmaline. Neuroscience 55: 303 310.
- Olney, JW (1989). Excitatory amino acids and neuropsychiatric disorders. Biological Psychiatry 26: 505 525.
- Ormandy, GC, Song, L and Jope, RS (1991). Analysis of the convulsant potentiating effects of lithium in rats. Exp Neurology 111:356-361.
- Overstreet, DH (1993). The Flinders sensitive line rats: A genetic animal of depression. Neuroscience Biobehavioral Review 17: 51 68.
- Persinger, MA, Bureau, YRJ, Kostakos, M, Peredery, O and Falter, H (1993). Behaviors of rats with insidious multi focal brain damage induced by seizures following single peripheral injections of lithium and pilocarpine. Physiology and Behavior 53: 849 866.
- Persinger, MA, Makarec, K, and Bradley, JC (1988). Characteristics of limbic seizures evoked by peripheral injections of lithium and pilocarpine. Physiology and Behavior 44: 27 37.
- Pontzer, N, Madamba, S, Siggins, GR and Crews, FT (1992). Concentrations of carbachol stimulating phosphoinositide hydrolysis cause a sustained decrease in membrane potential and firing rate. Brain Research 597: 189-199.
- Prima Vera, A, Brusa, G and Poeta, MG (1989). A Creutzfelt Jakob like syndrome due to lithium toxicity. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 52: 423.
- Sachar, EJ, Kantar, SS, Buie, D Engle, R, Mehlman, R (1970). Psycho endocrinology of acute ego disintegration. American Journal of Psychiatry 126: 1067 1078.
- Sachar, EJ, (1970). Psychological factors relating to activation and inhibition of the adrenocortical stress response in man: A review. Progress in Brain Research 32: 316 324.
- Sachdev, PS (1990). Intensive neurodiagnostic monitoring in psychiatry. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 24 (2): 227 237.
- Sapolsky, RM (1994). The physiological relevance of glucocorticoid endangerment of hippocampus. Annals New York Academy of Sciences 746: 294-307.
- Schou, M (1984). Long lasting neurological sequelae after lithium intoxication. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 70: 594-602.
- Shanks, N, Aalcman, S, Zacharko, RM, Anisman, H (1991). Alterations of central norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin in several strains of mice following acute stress or exposure. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior 38: 69 75.
- Sheean, GL (1991). Lithium neurotoxicity. Clinical and experimental Neurology 28: 112 127.
- Smith, SJM and Kocen, RS (1988). A Creutzfelt Jakob like syndrome due to lithium toxicity. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 51: 120 123.
- Stein-Behrens, BA, Lin, WJ, and Sapolsky, RM (1994). Physiological elevations of glucocorticoids potentiate glutamate accumulation in the hippocampus. Journal of Neurochemistry 63: 596-602.
- Tong, G and Jahr, CE (1994). Block of glutamate transporter potentiates postsynaptic excitation. Neuron 13: 1195-1203.
- Tricklebank, MD, Singh, L, Jackson, A and Oles, RJ (1991). Evidence that a proconvulsant action of lithiumis mediated by inhibition of myo-inositol phosphatase in mouse brain. Brain Research 558:145-148.
- Tsarkiris, S, and Kontopoulos, A (1993). Time changes in Na+, K+ ATPase, Mg++ ATPase and acetylcholinesterase activities in the rat cerebrum and cerebellum caused by stress. Pharmacology, Biochemistry, and Behavior 44: 339 42.
- Tse, SYH, Mak, IT, and Dickens, BF (1991). Antioxidative properties of harmane and beta carboline alkaloids. Biochemical Pharmacology 42: 459 464.
- Tsukahara, N Bando, T Murakami, F and Oda, Y (1983). Properties of cerebel lo-Precerebellar reverberating circuits. Brain Research 274: 249-259.
- Turski, L, Cavalheiro, E, Sieklucka-Dziuba, M, Ikonomidou-Turski, C, Czuczwar, S, and Turski, W (1986). Seizures produced by pilocarpine. Brain Research 398:37-48.
- Wantanabe, Y, Gould, E and McEwen, BS (1992). Stress induces atrophy of apical dendrites of hippocampal CA3 pyramidal neurons. Brain Research 588 (2): 341 345.
- Wasterlain, CG, Adams, LM, Schwartz, PH, Hattori, H Sofia, RD and Wichmann, JK (1993). Post hypoxia treatment with felbamate is neuroprotective in a rat model of hypoxia ischemia. Neurology 43: 2303 2310.
- Weilburg, JB, Schachter, S, Worth, J, Pollack, MH, Sachs, GS, Ives, JR, and Schomer, DL (1995). EEG abnormalities in patients with atypical panic attacks. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry56: 358-362.
- Weiner, RD, Whanger AD, Erwin, CW, Wilson, WP (1980). Prolonged confusional state and seizure activity following concurrent ECT and lithium use. American Journal of Psychiatry 137: 1452 1453.
- West, AP and Meltzer, HY (1979). Paradoxical lithium neurotoxicity: Five case reports and an hypothesis about risk for neurotoxicity. American Journal of Psychiatry 136: 963 966.
- West, AP (1982). Lithium neurotoxicity in schizophrenic and schizoaffective patients: Behavioral state related aspects of neurotoxicity. International Pharmacopsychiatry 17: 91 103.
- Williams, MB and Jope, RS (1994). Lithium potentiates phosphoinositide-linked 5-HT receptor stimulation in vivo. Neuroreport 5: 1118-1120.
- Williams, JA and Reiner, PB (1993). Noradrenaline hyperpolarizes identified rat mesopontine cholinergic neurons in vitro. Journal of Neuroscience 13 (9): 3878 3883.