T. D. M. Roberts (1997) Understanding Balance: a Scheme With Snags
. Psycoloquy: 8(06) Posture Locomotion (5)
Versions: ASCII formatted
Psycoloquy 8(06): Understanding Balance: a Scheme With Snags
UNDERSTANDING BALANCE: A SCHEME WITH SNAGS
T. D. M. Roberts
Reply to Mergner et al. on Posture-Locomotion
11 Menzies Drive
FINTRY, Glasgow, G63 0YG
The "alternative scheme" outlined by Mergner, Bolba and
Becker (1997) depends on the unexamined acceptance of some of the
very concepts that the book under review sets out to show to be
invalid. This reply draws attention to some of the detailed points
Balance, connectionism, gestalt, learning, locomotion,
motor control, proprioception, recognition.
- Mergner, T., Bolba, B. and Becker, W. (1997) A Modified Version of the Centre-of-Mass Balancing Hypothesis. PSYCOLOQUY 8(2) posture-locomotion.4.mergner.
- Roberts, T.D.M. (1963) Rhythmic excitation of a stretch reflex, revealing (a) hysteresis and (b) a difference between the responses to pulling and to stretching. Quart. J. Exp. Physiol., 48, 328-345.
- Roberts, T.D.M. and Stenhouse, G. (1976) The nature of postural sway. Agressologie, 17A, 11-14.
- Roberts, T.D.M. (1995) Understanding Balance: The Mechanics of Posture and Locomotion. London, Chapman & Hall.
- Roberts, T.D.M. (1996) Precis of: Understanding Balance: The Mechanics of Posture and Locomotion. PSYCOLOQUY 7(2) posture-locomotion.1.roberts.