Neil W. Rickert (1998) Knowledge is not Unitary
. Psycoloquy: 9(50) Efference Knowledge (2)
Versions: ASCII formatted
Psycoloquy 9(50): Knowledge is not Unitary
KNOWLEDGE IS NOT UNITARY
Neil W. Rickert
Commentary on Jarvilehto on Efference-Knowledge
Department of Computer Science
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115
In his attempt to account for the complexity of
interactions between an organism and its environment, Jarvilehto
(1998) has given us a theory in which organism and environment are
considered to jointly constitute a single unitary system. While I
support the idea of giving a larger role to the environment than is
typical in theories of cognition, I will suggest that Jarvilehto
goes too far, erasing the distinctions that are prerequisite to the
very possibility of having a theory of cognition.
afference, artificial life, efference, epistemology,
evolution, Gibson, knowledge, motor theory, movement, perception,
receptors, robotics, sensation, sensorimotor systems, situatedness
- Cherniak, C. (1986). Minimal Rationality. The MIT Press.
- Gibson, E. J. (1969). Principles of Perceptual Learning and Development. Appleton Century Crofts.
- Gibson, J. J. (1966). The Senses Considered as Perceptual Systems. Houghton Mifflin.
- Gibson, J. J. (1972). A theory of direct visual perception. In Royce, J. R. and Rozeboom, W.~W., editors, The Psychology of Knowing, pages 215-227. Gordon and Breach.
- Gibson, J. J. (1979). The Ecological Approach to Visual Perception. Houghton Mifflin.
- Jarvilehto, T. (1998). Efferent influences on receptors in knowledge formation. Psycoloquy 9(41) http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/cgi/psyc/newpsy?9.41 ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/Psycoloquy/1998.volume.9/psyc.98.9.41.efference-knowledge.1.jarvilehto
- Kahneman, D., Slovic, P., and Tversky, A., editors (1982). Judgment under Uncertainty: Heuristics and Biases. Cambridge University Press.
- Maturana, H. R. and Varela, F. J. (1987). The Tree of Knowledge: the Biological Roots of Human Understanding. Shambhala, Boston.
- Piaget, J. (1954). The Construction of Reality in the Child. Basic Books, Inc.
- Powers, W. T. (1973). Behavior: the control of perception. Aldine Publishing Co.
- Rose, S. (1998). Lifelines: Biology Beyond Determinism. Oxford University Press. ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/BBS/.WWW/bbs.rose.html
- Winograd, T. and Flores, F. (1987). Understanding Computers and Cognition. Addison Wesley.